last september, i started rearranging things on the beaches around plymouth. since early in the new year, in addition to the rearrangements i’ve been doing on site (sites, really), i’ve been collecting limpets for a larger project. at the beginning of may i had 2,600 shells in a box in my studio. at that point, i started documenting the collection process. on the 11th of august, i reached the quota for the project. here’s what 10,000 limpets in boxes in my studio looks like:
add to those all the other limpet shells currently in the studio waiting to be taken back to the beach to be arranged into art, and the total is almost 14,000. i don’t know what it means that there’re so many shells in my studio, but it does seem significant. if nothing else, they represent time, they’re evidence of the durational part of the project, that is, all the hours spent on the beach pickin’ ’em up. so…soon those 10,000 will go back to the beach and be arranged. i might need help. if you’re not busy.